Earlier this year we profiled an interesting design in bicycle locks called the Pedal Lock. As the name suggests it was designed to use a bicycles pedals as a means of securing the bike.
Its designer, Cheng-Tsung Feng of the National Taiwan University of Science & Technology, explained some of its benefits.
KineticShift: In many cities wouldn’t a second lock be necessary to secure the bike to a rack?
Cheng-Tsung Feng: lock with the rack is a method but this kind of locks usually easy to cut off by tools.
According to the research of Taiwan, bicycle stealing belongs to “Opportunity Criminal” of criminology. It does not need particular plan and any secret surroundings. The common way to steal bicycle is to use pliers to break the lock. There are two common types of bicycle lock, which are coil type and U-shaped metal, and two ways to unlock the bike—the key and the password lock. Therefore, it comes out the following problems:
(Click image for a closer view)
1. The coil type lock may be cut off easily.
2. Users usually forget to unlock and cause bicycles out of working.
3. It is easy to decode the password.
4. The bike will be the escape tool after the theft breaks the lock.
“Pedal Lock” is a creative design to challenge bicycle stealing problem.
KS: How easy will it be to attach or remove the pedals from the cranks?
CTF: How to use:
1. Push inside, and let the pedal buckle the orange hexagon junction.
2. Counter-clockwise rotate 2 rounds.
3. Separate the pedal.
4. Roll out the iron pole of one of the pedal.
5. Buckle two pedals on the wheel. 6.Use the key to lock it.
Thank you to Cheng-Tsung for talking with us.